22 January 2009

Bedroom Eyes No More

When I was younger, up until 8th grade, my eyes were droopy. It's fairly noticeable in pictures. My mother always referred to them as "bedroom eyes" and told me they were pretty. To me, they just made me look like a beagle. Not what a girl going through puberty wants to have.

So, when I was 13, I started forcing myself to open my eyes wider and keep them like that. That's what I spent most of my time concentrating on in my math and science classes, which is probably one of the reasons why I have a degree in English.

It's not as easy as it sounds, when you've been walking around with your eyes half closed for the majority of your life.

In the end, this little endeavor paid off. Now, a countless number of people on a regular basis tell me that I have huge eyes. I smile and coyly say thank you, never letting them know how long it took to achieve such a compliment. I can't do fractions, long division or tell you the names of things in outer space...but my mother no longer tells me I have "bedroom eyes." Success, mais non? As this project was a victory, I have tried many times in the past ten years to get my nose to straighten out on its own. No such luck. I guess skin is easier to manipulate than bone.

1 comments:

Amanda said...

I just stopped by to check out your blog after doing a double-take at your comment about a logic puzzle book on Your Ill-fitting Overcoat's sidebar. My name is Amanda and many months ago I bought one of those books from amazon, after having not done one in years. I had to investigate make sure it wasn't me that wrote that comment all that time ago. ;p