14 March 2009

Moving forward

I was leaving work on Thursday when I saw my phone light up out of the corner of my eye. Usually I ignore calls from numbers I don't know because I'm an avid fan of avoiding awkward situations and you never know who is on the other end of that call. This time wasn't any different, I let it go to voicemail.


Turns out, it was a law firm that I interviewed with in January offering me a job as a paralegal. It's a temporary position until July while one of the paralegals is out on maternity leave and it pays a lot more than I was making at the non-profit. I'll be able to move in July without being stressed about having to quit a job and I'll hopefully have a little more in my savings account.

The problem? Quitting the non-profit, without being able to give notice because the law firm needs me to start right away. I've only been at the non-profit for three weeks, I didn't think it would be an issue. I thought they would tell me to go home on the spot, like most places would if you've only been there a hand full of weeks.

Nope. My supervisor told me she needs at least two weeks notice, let me know she thinks I'm leaving them in a lurch, that I'm irresponsible, and that I made a commitment and I need to learn how to honor my commitments. I explained that I wasn't expecting this opportunity to fall into my lap but I can't afford to pass up an offer to work in the field that I'm trained in and that I want to further my education in. I told her that I appreciated the time and experience the agency has given me, I learned a lot in my short time and I know I'm putting them in a difficult spot and I apologize for that. She still continued to be rude. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I tried to leave in July, after I'd been there for five months. Monday's my last day with the non-profit, Tuesday is my first day at the law firm. It's funny that I have three jobs at home but I was in Seattle for six months and only found one that I stayed at for a week (that's a story for another time).

Speaking of accounts, I just got my federal tax refund and now have a lot more in my bank account than I have in a long time. Unfortunately it's pretty much all going to pay off my credit cards because what's the point of saving money if I'm just accruing more interest on debt?

Tonight I'm going to a local show of the Vagina Monologues. Cannot wait!

0 comments: