02 February 2009

Was it all wasted?

I'm extremely frustrated by temp agencies. It's very much the same thing over and over again.

I walk in. The Receptionist is one of two types of girls.

Type #1 - The Bitchy kind. She will roll her eyes at me at least 3 times in the time frame of approximately five minutes. Oh, I'm sorry. Am I interrupting your time on Facebook? Most often, she will have a nose ring, dried out hair from being over-colored, more make-up than a circus clown and clothes that don't fit right. She will act like she is doing me the BIGGEST favor ever by letting the Account Executive know I'm here.

or there is


Type #2 - My Automatic BFF. I prefer this type because they seem generally happy to be there. They cheerfully greet me and offer me coffee or water, ask me if I've found the building alright (I'm here, 10 minutes early, but thanks for inquiring). After I'm polite back, they decide this is the time to really get to know each other. I'll have to hear about their boyfriend problems, the car accident they got into that morning or just about what they want to do with their life. Typically, this type will also have a nose ring (what is it with receptionists at temp agencies and nose rings?), crazy colored hair and will be slightly overweight. 

Often my thoughts on the first type of temp agency receptionists are - I could do your job so much better than you. On the second type, I usually give them tons of points of smiling and not making weird noises with their nose. 

Both types of receptionists will set me up with the testing programs on the computer. One will snort, while the other one will just smile. One will go over how to go through the testing system so fast it just sounds like they're gargling mouth wash. You know, the mouth wash with alochol that hurts to swish around in your mouth for a full sixty seconds. The other will take the time to show me every single step.

Word, Excel, Typing Test. Then I get to meet the Account Executive where I hear the exact same thing every time, almost verbatim. 

"Omigosh!  First off, let's start out with your test scores. Phenomenal! You scored 95% on both Word and Excel, which is 30-40% above the average! Your words per minute score is 85! The average in this office is 33, so you're clearly ahead of everyone else! You have incredible work experiences! And a Bachelor of Arts degree! In English AND Women's Studies! Wow! I am just so impressed with you!" 

Great, I get it. I know we're in a recession and there aren't as many companies looking for temps right now, but you promised me I'm the first person you'll call because you always claim I'm the best candidate that your office has to offer. Yet my phone continues to stay silent. 

2 comments:

her said...

ugh temp agencies. i'd really rather not graduate school in May...couldn't I just keep going forever? i like your music too!

Amanda said...

Ugh, how frustrating! It's a very similar situation with nanny jobs. All the agencies are so excited about my resume, then tell me they'll call me *if* they get any full time positions. Actually, that's better than the ones that lie and make it look like they've got lots of jobs and they don't!